Friday, January 23, 2009

Ultrasound Good-to-Go

I finally met my doctor today face-to-face.

Here's the run-down:
We left the apartment at about 1pm.
Went to the metro station and my pops bought me my two-week bus pass.
Went way down to the depths where the red-line runs, went 3 stops.
We met up with one of my dad's friends to make an exchange (we are Hungos and we do lots of exchanges..don't ask).
Got on the bus and went 6 stops up the hill on the Buda side.

Note: Budapest is actually two cities separated by the Danube river.

The bus stops right across the street from the Kaali Institute.
The place is surrounded by residential homes in a very quaint area.

The waiting room is elegant and pretty full with patients.
I was called into dr. Kovac's office and reviewed the paperwork I'd sent. He then gave me a run-down of the process. Man, those hungos sure love to talk!
After all the blah, blah, blah the next step was an ultrasound to make sure that I don't have any cysts.

In an adjoining room a nurse was waiting for me. I changed into a gown and then came the magic wand. Get your mind out of the gutter.

Ultrasound showed NO CYSTS and several good follicles on both ovaries. Hungo doc says that is good. Based on the ultrasound he recommended that I continue on my birth control pill for one more day.

I am to start the stimulation medication on the 28th. So, fo the next four days I don't have to do anything. The best part is, the doc said it is OK for me to go to the spa! Oh, that makes me so happy. I will go before my stimulation starts, just in case.

So after that, I forced my dad to pay the $93 consultation fee and the ultrasound. Hee hee. He was happy to do it. We walked out and got my prescription filled at the bottom of the street (6 stops on the bus).

I will be injecting myself with Gonal-F. The same medication they give to IVF'rs in the U.S. I will be taking 112.5 of this stuff which, by the way, is in my little euro-fridge next to the salami and peppers. Gotta love it.

I dropped about $430 at the pharmacy. On one of these posts I may gather a list of how much this is all costing by going abroad.

Oh and the best part is that I can go to the Institute and the nurse will do the injections for me. They showed me how but I might have them do the first two or three or until I get comfy with the process. If this all has a happy ending, I love the fact our baby will be 'Made in Hungary'.

I feel pretty good for the most part.
Breathe. One step at a time.

11 comments:

  1. Right on.

    I wish I was there already.

    I'm upgrading to First Class, cool?

    Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesse is kidding... he actually chartered a private jet.
    Happy to hear things are off and running, and wish you all the luck in your new job as pin cushion. Just pretend you are a diabetic for a little while. And I hear peppers and salami help the medicine go down in a most delightful way!
    ~breann~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I'm very excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is so interesting to read! I've never "met" anyone who has gone abroad for IF treatment. So is your husband going to Hungary soon to meet up and give the sample or what? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard from Grandma, even the STARS are helping!!
    Enjoy the process.
    Everything is on it's proper way.
    Trust, Fate, and breathe..
    I love you and I am proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey girly. I am so glad you decided to blog about your whole experience. I am so excited for you and my cuz :)

    Love always,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like everything is off to a great start. Enjoy your time at the spa...you certainly deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dude. So glad the medical process is a thumbs up. 4 days off with spa, bonus! The Danube in winter, cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Liz! Great News!!! I have tears of joy for you both right now. I wish I could be there with you to see your face. I am just so happy for you.

    xoxoox, Erin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay Liz!!! soooo happy the ultrasound was good!! Enjoy the next 4 days honey and the spa!! I love you!
    Ilene

    ReplyDelete