Thursday, February 5, 2009

Special from the Stig: Leftover Commie-nism



Rarely does someone living safe and sound in the hermeticaly-sealed United States witness something so incredily hazardous it stops 'em dead in their tracks. Well, let me tell ya about this certain metro station on the Buda side of the city.

It should be pointed out first that there are plenty more ways to die and/or be mangled in this part of Europe than other EU nations to the west. One example is walking. Being a pedestrian here requires a certain level of skill. I've heard reports that three people per day die by vehicular means in Budapest. I believe it. Walking in parts of the city reminds me of playing football: move quickly and keep your head on a swivel.

Back to the metro station. Your basic giant shards of broken glass in what used to be three separate display windows. Perfect height, by the way, for children to play with.

The interesting part is these windows look as if they were broken in 1987. Nobody has cleaned it up and certainly no one has even considered replacing the glass.

So who lets this happen? Well, I blame communism for 40 years of soul-crushing ideological brainwashing that still stains parts of Hungarian life to this day. That or maybe someone just forgot to call the window guy.

I return home tomorrow which is just perfect because I got over my jet-lag today. Oh the irony. Liz is reaching the most crucial point and Sunday is the retrieval so please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. Thanks for reading and for supporting her from faraway.

-Stig, Shug, Idiot...my wife has many names for me

6 comments:

  1. Can you bring back some broken glass with my beer? Hope you have a safe flight. Obviously, you are both in our thoughts! -W from South Pas

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to leave already??? It seems like you just got there, I am sure you feel the same way. Have a safe flight!

    ~Breann~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love living in the "Calabasas bubble"...makes you forget that there is a whole world out there. Or other cities just don't worry about minor details, like broken glass windows that children can get into. I love that Jesse sees the broken glass and immediately thinks about the safety of the children...awe, his nurturing side is coming out! Can't believe Jesse's visit is ending...hopefully he did what he needed to do to get the job done! Can't wait to read more about this process. Still praying and still keeping you both in our hearts and thought...

    XOXO, Sandra, Phil, & Tanner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessie & Liz,
    How ya feelin baby girl? About now I am sure you are all emotional and feel like you have been hit by a truck. I know how much your ovaries hurt. Please don't try to be a hero now. You must rest, sleep is most important as it is healing for your body. The next few weeks will be a rollercoaster. I have got my fingers, toes, eyes and everything else crossed for you guys. If I can be of any help when you get home Liz, let me know. I remember how hard this is. I woke up at 5 am today and immediately started thinking about you, so bizarre. Please take care of yourself, seriously it is really important now.
    Love and prayers are with you guys.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bummer Jesse is leaving so soon. Sounds like you guys were having fun. And stuffing your face full of yummy food is always fun :) Us heifers gotta stick together!!

    So soon you will be starting the last book....I just finished reading it today and I'm so sad it all over. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!!

    Misty

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI LIZ,
    SOUNDS LIKE ALL IS GOING WELL. I AM SO GLAD.YOU TAKE IT EASY AND GET ALOT OF REST.
    IT LOOKS LIKE A PRETTY PLACE TO VISIT.BUT I AM SURE YOU WILL BE GLAD TO GET HOME.
    LOVE AND PRAYS, MOM MOM

    ReplyDelete